Dating online has become the new normal. From social media websites to dating apps, people make friends and fall in love through the Internet. The fact that we are almost a year into the Pandemic has only increased the need to connect online. I received a question about tips for making a good impression in the online dating world. Balancing the desire to attract the right people with safety concerns can be a challenge. You want to make a good impression without putting your entire life in the public eye. Below are some tips to keep in mind:
10 Tips for Online Dating
- Create an effective bio. Every online relationship begins with a profile. It feels strange to analyze yourself, but an empty profile looks suspicious. Include who you are, what you like, and what you’re looking for. Some people will go so far as to pay a professional to write a dating profile for them. That’s how important the introduction can be. But you don’t need to spend money to create the perfect profile. Just give it some thought and write an honest summary of who you are.
- Don’t worry about sharing every little detail. We all have things we want to keep private, and you are entitled to that privacy.
- Choose flattering photos that represent you. Use recent pictures that are in focus and avoid obvious filters. Your photos should be clear, honest, and show you in the best light.
- Go with the flow. Even if you think you connected with someone, avoid contacting them too often. Send messages approximately as often as they communicate with you.
- You don’t have to play hard to get either. Move at the pace that develops naturally.
- Stay away from social media stalking (and social media stalkers). While it’s tempting to spend a few hours going through their social media profiles, this can easily cross the line into stalkers-ville. Remember, you have plenty of time to learn more about each other. With that said, basic social media research that confirms you are talking to the person you think you are talking to is okay. Not everyone is honest.
- Stay safe online. We have all heard horror stories about online dating. If it is safe for you to meet in person with your online crush, do it in a public place.
- Before I was married, my friends did not let me go on a first date unless they had the guy’s name, license plate, details on how we met, and where we were going for the date. A bit much? Maybe, but I loved them for it. Make sure a friend or family member knows where you’re going and who you will be with. Better safe than sorry.
- Meet somewhere comfortable. If you choose somewhere that makes you feel comfortable, you’ll be more relaxed and able to enjoy yourself. When you’re relaxed and enjoying the date, you make a better first impression.
- Avoid talking about your ex. This one is straightforward. You have moved on. Your ex is not relevant. Enjoy getting to know the new person in your life.
- Be yourself. You might feel pressured to present a version of yourself that will impress the other person. The worst thing that can happen is the two of you get together and discover a year into a relationship that you are not compatible with each other. Be you–always.
- You can be selective. Even if you’ve been single for a while, you don’t have to go on a date with the first person who asks, especially if you don’t feel a connection. Don’t settle.
- Keep it all balanced. You may have met the one, and it’s natural to want to spend as much time together as possible. Or, you may feel discouraged by a string of bad dates. Either way, your life continues. Don’t cut out hobbies, friends, or family because you are wrapped up in your dating life. Your romantic relationship is only one part of you. Take your time, live your life and let your relationships form in their own time.
If you’re looking for love online, these strategies can help you navigate the world of online dating. Online dating is an adventure and finding ‘the one’ is worth the effort!